How do the roofs handle the high winds and rain?
- These are designed to handle the high wind and rain storms just like the tiki roofs in the tropics. Even the extremely high winds will naturally lift the palm thatch up and pass right through. There is absolutely no need for concern if you live in an exceptionally windy area!
- See example of our Big Kahuna that survived a hurricane:
How long do the Tiki Bars take to set up?
Our tiki bars and cabanas set up in about an hour. Really! When your delivery gets near, we will send you a video that shows how easy it is. If you are close to our location in Southeastern Michigan, we can also send someone to help you set up for an additional fee. If you are not close to our location, your tiki bar and cabana will arrive in just a few fully completed sections. The bamboo walls and the roof are fully completed and ready for assembly when they arrive! Even the Big Kahuna only requires the provided 11 large bolts to fully assemble. Nuthin' to it! If you are outside of Michigan, we can sometimes still send a transporter to help you set up for an additional fee. You can also choose to pick your tiki bar up at our location to save the shipping charge which varies from state to state.
What do you do with the tiki bar in the winter?
- It can be left up all year round. Your tiki bar should be covered in the winter with a tarp and some nylon rope or bungee cords as pictured on the "Tiki Care" page.
- NOTE: Before tarping the tiki bar, many people use the inside area of the tiki bar as winter storage for bar stools, summer games, outdoor décor, etc.
- If you have purchased a tiki cabana for your hot tub, cover only the thatched roof area with at least a 12 x 12 tarp with the round metal grommets on the edge seams. Criss-cross a few bungee cords through the grommets on the under side of the roof to secure it tightly for the winter and you are all set. This will protect your roof from freezing rain and snow through the winter months while still leaving you access to enjoy your hot tub in the winter months. If you have a bamboo tiki bar counter wall with your cabana, this should be covered with a smaller tarp and a few bungee cords as well for the winter months. In the Spring, simply remove the tarps, dust it off and you're ready for the season!
- Also, all of our tiki bar structures can be broke down in about a half an hour if you would rather just store it in you garage for the winter months but there is no need to do so.
Does the tiki bar need to be anchored down?
- We leave this decision up to the customer but we don't feel that it's necessary at all. Our bars and cabanas will not blow over even in extremely high wind storm. All are built solid and weigh several hundred pounds.
How long will the palm thatch last?
- After about 4 or 5 years, you will probably want to re-thatch the roof. After all, it is plant life and will not last forever. Please contact us at this point. If you are local, we can come out to re-thatch your roof so it will look and be brand new again! If you are not local, with will send you our re-thatching video so you or your handy person can re-thatch it in about 2 hours. The video shows how easy it is. It will show you how to remove your old thatch, how long to cut the sections of thatch, exactly how to re-thatch your roof and even what size staples to use. We also recommend that you spray the top of the roof every Spring with a spray can of Thompson’s water seal. This will help prolong the life of the thatch by repelling the water.
Benefits of the tiki cabana for your hot tub or patio set
- Helps to prolong the life of your tub cover/ patio set by reducing sun, rain and snow damage!
- No more umbrellas to worry about and replace!
- Provides plenty of shade and a tropical romantic atmosphere!
- Provides soft lighting in the roof for your night time enjoyment!
- You can still enjoy your hot tub even when it’s raining or snowing